The Crosscut Social Media Editor works across social media platforms and with Crosscut staff to expand our reach and deepen our connection with our audiences. We measure that through loyal readership and growing our base of supporters and members. This role supports organizational efforts to expand our reach across the Pacific Northwest, foster and drive civic engagement and inspire a smarter world.
Salary Range: $60,000-$65,000
Benefits information can be found here
Seattle, Temporarily remote in WA State
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
I. Big Picture Responsibilities
- Execute a social media strategy built around growing loyal readership.
- Use data analytics tools to guide your decisions and be able to communicate them to others. Know when to tweak strategy based on industry changes or changing user behaviors.
- Iterate, improve upon and manage social media strategy for long term projects, including written series, video series and podcasts.
- Work closely with editors, reporters, our podcast producer and our videographers and offer insights at early stages of projects for audience engagement opportunities.
- Identify and establish “voice” for various projects, people and products. Work with the Newsletter Editor and Audience Engagement Manager to bring continuity across platforms.
- Pitch and experiment with different kinds of social media storytelling to meet audiences where they are.
II. Daily Duties and Responsibilities
- Execute the social media strategy with daily posts on our core platforms. Iterate, improving upon and managing social media content calendars.
- Attend daily editorial meetings and acting on social media opportunities.
- Attend beat pitch meetings and finding early opportunities to collaborate with newsroom staff in creative ways that put our readers, listeners and viewers first.
- Meet with individual journalists to help them reach their intended audiences per story and for their beats.
- Help to write SEO and social headlines and decks for upcoming stories.
- Using Hearken, Typeform and other third-party tools that help us engage, inform and communicate with our audiences.
- Help the newsroom bring DE&I into every facet of our reporting and publishing processes.
III. Cascade Public Media Team’s Responsibilities
- Support the events team with virtual and in-person events, including Crosscut Festival, an annual event to celebrate big ideas and complex issues.
- Collaborate and coordinate with the marketing team to cross-promote relevant KCTS 9 and Crosscut programming.
- Support the sponsorship’s team by ensuring branding for sponsorships is fulfilled for podcasts, articles and video series.
- Bring a level of knowledge and influence across organization regarding emerging technologies as tools to amplify stories, enhance engagement and drive conversion.
- Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 2+ years of running full-time social accounts for a news publisher or brand that publishes regular article-type content (newsroom, blogs, newsletters, etc.).
- An understanding of journalistic practices, particularly as they relate to accuracy, transparency, bias and avoiding harm. A journalism degree is not required but you must be able to adhere to the Society of Professional Journalists Code of Ethics in every facet of the job.
- Understanding of (or enthusiasm to learn) about conversion funnels to guide users from being one-time visitors to loyal readers and supporters.
- Extremely deadline conscious. A planner who understands that risks should be carefully calculated.
- Deep knowledge of social media data analytics, SEO and Google Analytics. Expertise in other data analytics tools is a plus.
- A focus on DE&I and a dedication to helping our newsroom reach and amplify voices that are historically underrepresented and/or misrepresented in the media.
- Familiarity and commitment to building public trust in news using Hearken and other audience-first outreach tools and tactics.
- Ability to manage short and long-term projects in an environment with shifting deadlines.
- Strong collaboration and communication skills, plus desire to work with industry tools including Slack, Trello and Google platforms.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
- Knowledge of AP style, impeccable grammar and copy editing skills.
- Experience creating audio, video and visual content for social is preferred.
- Ability to work in a hybrid and remote work environment.
- Ability to view data on a computer screen for long periods of time.
- Ability to type on a keyboard for long periods of time.
Cascade Public Media is committed to building a team that represents a diversity of thought, experience and personal background.
Our Diversity Commitment
We are committed to building a team that represents a diversity of thought, experience and personal background. Read our complete diversity commitment statement here.