Cascade Public Media (CPM) is a nonprofit, publicly supported media organization serving the Pacific Northwest. We are committed to exceptional public television programming and local public interest journalism. Our unique mix of brands connects our communities and helps them to learn, grow and make a difference. CPM’s mission is to inspire a smarter world, and our core values are Diversity, Community, Innovation and Integrity.
Our roots run deep in public broadcasting: KCTS 9 has provided trusted, quality programming for the Northwest since its establishment in 1954. In 2015, KCTS 9 announced a digital-first strategy, producing local content for multiple media platforms — online, mobile, social media and broadcast — to expand its reach and service to audiences of all ages. As a result, KCTS Television merged with Crosscut Public Media, nonprofit daily news website, to form Cascade Public Media. In 2018, CPM opened Hive Media Lab, an innovation lab with collaboration, event, and production space; and acquired Piranha Partners, which specializes in creative storytelling through graphics, animation, creative writing and distinctive audio.
As media and technology continue to evolve, Cascade Public Media is evolving as well. We are committed to serving this region as the premiere local media organization, for today and tomorrow. To learn more, please visit: https:// www.cascadepublicmedia.org/
As Cascade Public Media continues to evolve in size and complexity, we are seeking an Executive Editor to lead our 31 newsroom editors, reporters and visual journalists. Reporting to the Senior Vice President and COO, this role is a key member of the management team. Our future Executive Editor must embrace the transformative nature of public media, while possessing the tenacity to fully maximize our organization’s potential impact in the Pacific Northwest.
Specifically, we are looking for our new Executive Editor to:
- Embody the values of the organization to provide vision, motivation and excellent leadership to the team.
- Extend, expand and improve on the strengths of the newsroom and distinction of our journalism in the region.
- Work with senior management to help guide the strategy of the organization to be essential to our communities and worthy of their support.
Approximately half of the Executive Editor’s time will be spent directing the journalism of their team, in addition to day-to-day administrative and operational tasks. The other half will be spent collaborating with operations leads and other senior management members. As such, this individual will serve as a conduit between the business functions and the editorial side of Cascade Public Media, ensuring all departments under their purview are functioning in unity and supporting CPM’s overall strategic priorities.
Cascade Public Media’s strategic efforts feature four key priorities:
- Community: To be an organization that is regarded as essential to the vibrancy of the region.
- Talent & Culture: To be recognized as one of the best places to work in the region.
- Product: To be the most trusted, relevant and essential source of media content and experiences for the next generation of audience while supporting our existing audience.
- Conversion: To provide the community with whom we engage a pathway to become passionate supporters.
- Lead and develop newsroom staff with an emphasis on building an innovative culture, achieving department and organizational goals and objectives and taking accountability for exceptional performance.
- Participate strategically with the management team to support the business.
- Communicate and actualize the editorial vision for CPM digital and broadcast journalism.
- Translate CPM’s comprehensive business strategy and objectives into digital, broadcast, and community engagement editorial products.
- Expand audience reach and engagement; continually assess and improve content to develop a broader footprint and impact in support of CPM’s mission.
- Manage the specific requirements as outlined in the newsroom’s union contract (to be finalized later this year).
- Ensure all content follows the Mission and Code of Integrity and all other editorial guidelines and policies.
- Foster communication within and outside the newsroom.
- Proactively engage with other leaders and managers across the organization to maximize strategic objectives.
- Serve as a representative of CPM in the community via public speaking and donor and partner relations.
KEY REQUIREMENTS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required.
- 10+ years’ experience leading mid- to large-sized news operations in both digital and broadcast settings; experience building, leading and managing teams of 20+ staffers desired.
- An empathetic and compassionate management style, while simultaneously maintaining high standards for both themselves and those around them.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of content creation and distribution in a multi-platform environment, including television and digital.
- Ability to lead new initiatives and continuously improve campaigns, processes, and systems.
- Significant experience with developing and communicating strategies for content objectives, managing multiple priorities and overseeing varied projects and budgets.
- Exceptional communication skills.
Our Diversity Commitment
We are committed to building a team that represents a diversity of thought, experience and personal background. Read our complete diversity commitment statement here.